Liberrants

Welcome to Liberrants, a blog dedicated to editorials, discussions, and studies of all things libertarian. Don't let the title mislead you; it's merely my attempt to be creative in describing myself as a "hopeful curmudgeon" who embraces the goal of the free, peaceful, economically vibrant society envisioned by America's founding fathers. Jump in! Contribute! Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tucson, Arizona, United States

A critically thinking curmudgeon whose goal, in addition to creatively venting about the imperfect world in which we live, is to induce critical thinking in others. The ultimate goal is to help bring about a peaceful world in which we can all live in freedom.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Hit Tune That I Somehow Missed

Maybe I've been living in a remote rain forest somewhere for the past three years. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song The Last DJ until it was played on a local FM station in the D.C. area. For those who aren't familiar with the song, it's a ballad about a radio DJ who refuses to surrender to the dictates of corporate radio, which is unfortunately taking control over more and more of the airwaves, with hideous results in terms of product (a small selection of cheesy Top-40 songs, played endlessly). He's a man who does his own thing, plays his own music, and won't give up his ideals or betray his fans.

The song came out in 2002 as part of Tom Petty's album of the same name. You can download and listen to it, among other places, at Yahoo Music (just look under Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers). The song was reportedly widely banned by the very corporate radio stations it satirizes, which probably explains why I had not heard it (the lesson I've learned here is that I need to stop relying on cruddy FM radio for my music).

Tom Petty has always been one of my favorite performers and a hero, due in large part to his ongoing battles against the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and its ceaseless attemtps to gouge, censor, control, and shortchange. Like the State itself, this organization is a dinosaur that sucks the lifeblood out of productive people (composers and musicians) while rendering nothing of value in return. I really owe it to Tom and the Heartbreakers to make sure that I buy as many of their CDs as possible (between my wife and me we already have most of them anyway), not only as a sign of support, but because I consider Tom to be one of the most creative recording artists in contemporary America.

At any rate, give The Last DJ a listen and make the RIAA squirm!

1 Comments:

Blogger Convoluted Muse said...

Hey Lib,

I'll definitely have to give it a listen. One of the things I truly appreciate about Jimmy Buffet is how he broadcasts many of his concerts over the internet and freely encourages sharing of his music. This is in stark contrast to those greed driven "artists" we so often see complaining about file sharing. Great post!

CM

10:00 PM, August 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home