Liberrants

Welcome to Liberrants, a blog dedicated to editorials, discussions, and studies of all things libertarian. Don't let the title mislead you; it's merely my attempt to be creative in describing myself as a "hopeful curmudgeon" who embraces the goal of the free, peaceful, economically vibrant society envisioned by America's founding fathers. Jump in! Contribute! Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tucson, Arizona, United States

A critically thinking curmudgeon whose goal, in addition to creatively venting about the imperfect world in which we live, is to induce critical thinking in others. The ultimate goal is to help bring about a peaceful world in which we can all live in freedom.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Welcome to Liberrants!

Hello and welcome to Liberrants, the blog for discussion and debate of all things libertarian! I'm sure that mine is not the only such blog out there in cyberspace (in fact, I certainly hope not), but whether or not this site is a groundbreaker, I hope you will join me in making it an exciting and intellectually stimulating experience.

I'd like to use this first posting to expand a bit on my profile, but first a word on the "random question" posted by the blog generator, the one about scarves. Two words: ignore it. I've been trying to figure out how to delete it, but must either be missing something in the profile set-up instructions or haven't yet realized that it's an automatically embedded text block. If anyone out there has figured out how to remove this feature of the profile, let me know. That said, the real "random question" I'd love to get input on is the one I added on "quarantining" Washington, D.C. After the coronation festivities for King Fuehrer George II last week, the idea has definite appeal. But back to my profile.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm hungering for change, both on a personal and professional level. While I enjoy the work I do, I unfortunately do it for a Fortune 500 company that is the quintessential "corporate welfare queen" and whose sole client is the federal leviathan. This makes me feel more than a bit hypocritical, since one with libertarian sentiments should logically be avoiding association with any such firm. Unfortunately, in this part of the country most of the "private sector" caters exclusively to the feds. Perhaps vindication comes from having at least the goal of breaking free from this association within a few years and either changing professions or seeking clients whose income is derived from the commercial (and thus free) market. If anyone else out there has been in a similar situation, has experienced similar conflicting feelings, or has found a path to economic freedom, I'm all ears (and eyes). On a more personal level I'm trying to decide the best way to avoid the impending conflict I see coming with my fellow Christians who feel it their duty to support the belligerence, repression, and cult of personality that is the Bush Administration. While I'm the farthest thing there is from a "bible thumper", I will state that I have found no logical justification anywhere in the scriptures for the current imperial campaign in Iraq, Afghanistan, or any of the other 100-plus nations around the world in which the imperial garrisons are positioned. I wont' go into detail here, but suffice it to say that my fellow believers and I are on a collision course over this and I don't look forward to either broken friendships or "ex-communication" because of it. Again, if anyone out there has found themselves in a similar situation or found a way of resolving it, I'd love to here from you.

I list "The Matrix" trilogy, "Gangs of New York", and "Cold Mountain" as my favorite movies. While the first choice seems obvious from a libertarian perspective, the other two may prompt a question mark. "Gangs of New York" in my mind is one of the best depictions of government-sanctioned mob violence ever put on film. The scenes at the end of the movie of the New York City draft riots of 1863 show better than any history book just how murderous the government of Lincoln was willing to become in order to provide human cannon fodder for its own gang warfare on the battlefields of the south. Similarly, "Cold Mountain" depicts the government of the Confederacy in the same light. For a government whose sole purpose was allegedly to guarantee those rights of its citizens that had been abridged by the government of the United States, it was suspiciously and obviously dedicated to exerting the very centralized authority it had sworn to fight against, as witnessed by the attempts to forcibly conscript its own citizens into a war that many did not want to fight, resorting to the same inhumane and murderous tactics as their supposed enemy. Although I cannot say for certain that the makers of either film intended this to be their films' messages, this is the unmistakable message I carried away from both.

My favorite books probably merit no further explanation. I do believe that the works of Mises, Hayek, and Rothbard (and any other "Austrian School" economists) are indispensible tools for anyone wanting to further their knowledge of both economics in general and free-market economics in particular.

Other than that, I'll keep you posted on any profile updates if they are needed.

Now I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!


The Liberranter


1 Comments:

Blogger HimOverSin said...

Welcome to blogging bro. I really don't understand why you have to demonize people who genuinely like our president. He is no libertarian but he's no Hitler either. A good friend of mine at my church, and leads my bible study, is against the war... we're still friends. But he shows our leader which God put in power respect.

You don't have to show Bush respect for it's your blog, but disagreement can easily be done... and be more fruitful for you to win people to your side, without disrespect.

Politics makes my head hurt, though I do follow it when it involves Christians, and we could do a lot worse. I guess I'm just courious why libertarians are so anti-Bush when he is loads better then Kerry, Kennedy, etc. Is it just assumed that democrats are on the opposite end of the continuum or do you not think the elephants and donkeys are different but they both stink like...animals. hehe.

goodnewsmostly@gmail.com

God Bless!

9:32 PM, March 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home